07 December, 2015

Around the World in Eighty Days ~ review

Format: Paperback | 276 pages
Dimensions: 111 x 178 x 29 mm | 170 g
Publication date: 01 April 2010
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers

Goodreads |  Book Depository


Phileas Fogg was one of those mathematically exact people, who, never hurried and always ready, are economical of their steps and their motions. He never made one stride too many, always going by the shortest route. He did not give an idle look. He did not allow himself a superfluous gesture.' When Phileas Fogg wagers a bet that he can travel across the globe in just 80 days, little does he know about the epic journey that he is about to undertake. With his faithful French servant, Passepartout, Phileas Fogg embarks on the adventure of a lifetime, travelling across four continents by whatever means he can - train, elephant, steam ship - and experiencing endless surprises and mishaps along the way.


This was part of the two books that I have as a compulsory reading, sort of. It doesn't have many pages but I was progressing slowly. Here are the reasons as to why:

I'm not sure whether to start with the things I didn't like or the ones I like. But from start let's say there is a narrator telling the story of our main characters. Phileas Fogg u very punctual and generous person, maybe a bit eccentric, but it didn't lessen the fact he was still mysterious with his mathematical exactness.
His Jean was his new servant who is introduced at the very beginning of the book. The fact I have noticed is that the characters are added gradually. This leads to not having trouble understanding who is who and what is their role. I liked it and maybe that's why the books is good. The modern books have a way of putting all of the characters in one chapter as if reflecting the lack of time into the book.

It has easy English despite the fact it is a classic, but then again it's not really an English author is he? And it looks like that the author either travelled a lot or had done nice research because the descriptions are done in detials. Yet that is what reminds me of Tolkien. Too many descriptions and lacks of dialogues. The main reason I wasn't in rush to pick the book up and continue reading it.

As for the story that was going on it has nice and romantic end to it, but...why does Phileas find the solution to a problem that quickly? More struggling would be welcomed, or maybe some more action.

Soo that is all from me for now. I know I'm running behind promised schedule, but school is taking the best of me and I'm glad I have some time for myself for the past days! Seeya soon lovies.

No comments:

Post a Comment