31 December, 2015

American Gods ~ review

Format: Paperback | 635 pages
Dimensions: 106 x 170 x 38 mm | 295 g
Publication date: 04 March 2005
Publisher: HeadlineReview

Goodreads

Days before his release from prison, Shadow's wife, Laura, dies in a mysterious car crash. Numbly, he makes his way back home. On the plane, he encounters the enigmatic Mr Wednesday, who claims to be a refugee from a distant war, a former god and the king of America. Together they embark on a profoundly strange journey across the heart of the USA, whilst all around them a storm of preternatural and epic proportions threatens to break. Scary, gripping and deeply unsettling, American Gods takes a long, hard look into the soul of America. You'll be surprised by what - and who - it finds there...



I have heard many good reviews on America Gods. And for quite a while I was thinking of reading it. Then my friend said she adores his style of writing and offered me to borrow me one of her books. I went straight for this one. Little did I know it was this chunk of a book! Also I hate to confess that this review is way behind. I've read the book on.. 26th of December, but the Christmas festivities and visiting grandparents....Enough of my rant, here is the review:

At the very beginning I couldn't put the book  down. There was this need to continue reading. I think because it truly is written well. I didn't even need to stop and think of what was happening it was easy to grasp. The author did a really good job in making the book authentic - when the character was confused I was too.

The main character, Shadow, is quiet fellow, not wanting any conflicts at the very beginning of the book, but as the book progressed I noticed the little changes in his opinions. I valued the fact that he was honest most of the times and stayed true to his word. He met Wednesday early on and boy let me tell you. I wanted to kill that character at the start, but as the story unfolds he grew on me.

To conclude, hell this book blew my mind. I was on page 150 and I could tell this was the best book I have read so far that involved mythology. There were many points when I was just staring at the book in disbelief, how could I miss that much of a clue early on. Definitely recommended to all lovers of mythology.

No comments:

Post a Comment