20 September, 2016

Mŕtvy na pekelnom vrchu (The Dead on Hell's Hill) ~ review

Format: Hardback
Size: 130×210 mm
Publication date: 2013
Language: Slovak
Publisher: Slovart


It's about two males: Captain of Slovak legion - Stein  and Matej Barbarič (who is a Commissioner of Oaths) who are trying to solve crimes that happened in history. It's set in area of the 16th century Slovakia and starts with description of recapturing Slovak city, which was occupied by Turks before that. Captain is then sent to the Northern part of Slovak country with his newly appointed lieutenant - executioner Jaroš, to find a traitor that had planned to smuggle Turks into the middle of one of the cities - Štiavnica, which is important thanks to its ore mines.  In the city Stein meets Barbarič, who from start hates the captain but soon finds himself intrigued by the ongoings around the city and helps him willingly.






As mentioned in the TBR Tuesday, a family friend recommended this author to me. Said I might like it which in a way I did. The first few descriptions gave me the idea that this book will be a rather brutal and a lot of blood will be spilt. Just the title suggests that actually and I wasn't necessarily wrong.
       The opening scene was a description of a city that was under siege twice, and right after the battle. So there were still bodies and blood and every possible gore rated thing. This opening in which one of the main characters (Stein) starred with his thoughts as the only form of a spoken words left me thinking of him as a brutal and blood loving guy. After seeing the end of a fight he said that he had missed all the fun.
        Talking about Stein he is cold character and in a way he reminded me of Geralt of Rivia from Witcher. In the game he was as well this soulless, unemotional character just asking questions no matter what it cost him or if he had to cut flesh to get the answers going. Still I could see his development. Having companions around him taught him a little bit of compassion I think, despite him having a family around.
          Yet, as it was set in the 16th century, I kind of expected the descriptions to be more colourful. Compared to John Flanagan ones, these lacked something. It was just sentence upon sentence without using much of variety of expressive words. Maybe I'm just reading too many books from foreign authors and have my standards high, but I missed that kind of touch. Still I have to point out that the descriptions no matter how brief got the point across about how the society looked or the disgusting reality of battlefield and deaths where blood and gore were an everyday thing.

About recommendations I would watch the kids. This book was bloody with strong language at times and even mentions of NSFW things. Definitely for older audience, but I'm afraid that this isn't available in other countries than Slovakia, because of the author (and because our books...aren't translated much into other languages :/)




No comments:

Post a Comment