27 August, 2016

Ashwood ~ review

Format: Ebook (.mobi)
Pages: 200
Publication date: 07 Sept 2016
Language: English
Publisher: Fantasy Works Publishing


When sixteen-year-old Willow goes urban exploring in an abandoned asylum she expects the dark halls, creepy echoes, and ominous atmosphere. But she doesn’t expect it to follow her home. After the trip, Willow becomes haunted by nightmares in which she never left Ashwood Asylum. Nightmares where she is pursued by grotesque, mind-infesting horrors called the Mora who feed off the fear of mortals. Unfortunately for squeamish Willow, they are hungry. And she is their perfect meal. 

Upon waking, Willow recalls only fleeting memories of dead butterflies, hollow eyes and discordant whispers. But slowly these phantasms begin to bleed into her daily life, making Willow question her own sanity. She soon realizes that the solution lies solely within the decrepit walls of Ashwood. As the boundary between dreams and reality disintegrates, Willow must find the courage to defeat the leader of the Mora before he traps her soul in the nightmare forever. 




First off, I should mention this book was received as an ARC and I'm very very thankful for that! It took me longer to read than expected and I'm very sorry for the late review.

From the start it really does feel like dark fantasy. I, who is easily scared by the way, was glad that I've read it during the daylight hours (despite being a spn fan!!). The first few chapters were really scary.

The first point of view and descriptions of her emotions give out the perfect vibe, making the reader live through the dangers together with the character. Yet somehow during me reading it I lost the connection. I wasn't that interested or hyped to read the book. After longer parts of descriptions or without any dialogues I got a tad bored.

Besides that it got all a good book should have. There was romance, action, sadness and even some mystery that needed to be solved. I give it four stars only because it didn't drive me crazy. I actually managed to put it down to read another book, which I reviewed in the meantime and am almost over with another one.

Still it was a great book with just as great ending. Promising some more mystery from the author along with unanswered questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment