06 February, 2016

Soulless ~ review

Format: Ebook (.mobi) | 260 pages
Size: 774 KB
Publication date: 10 March 2016
The devil’s not the only one buying souls; both sides need bodies to fight their war, and both have something to offer in return. Nearly anything is possible, if you are the type of soul they're looking for. Charlotte Furio learns this the hard way, when a spirited and mysterious woman named Trisha follows home one night and gives her ailing father a simple choice: a healthy body for his immortal soul.

His decision introduces Charlotte to the world of soul brokering, and Charlotte is not only drawn to it, but finds she has a knack for it. Having lived the last decade of her life with only one purpose—to care for her increasingly disabled father—Charlotte sees this as her chance to give direction and meaning to her own life, and the lives of other people. To help them as Trisha had helped her father.

This mission is quickly derailed when Charlotte is framed for the murder of one of the brokers' leaders. Where she once had only one purpose, now Charlotte has two: get her father's soul back and find a way to prove her innocence before it's too late.



From start I thought this was going to be the usual fantasy book, where the heroin is put into the unknown world with little information to go with and has to save the entire world from going down hill. But I was greaty surprised by how the things evolved. (Even hate the cliff hanger damn it!)

Also I should mention I got this book as an ARC from Fantasy Works Publishing  and that this is my very fist ARC ever! I was so excited when they sent it, gosh!

So, everything was perfect, but the start...was kindish confusing i have to say. I had no idea what was going on, no backstory to the main character just small suggestions on who might know whom, but I guess it was the thing that kept me reading.
The plot was catchy, I couldn't put the book down when i was in the middle, great idea of connecting a little bit of thrill and need to "solve" a case together with fantasy. It was something new and I definitely liked it. The descripstions were excellent, man! And the references to the books and TV shows...

Those references connect closely to the main character, which is basically a TV addict and even though I haven't noticed any big development in Charlotte the book was written so well that it did not bother me much.
Also, the use of the fisrt person POV, magnificent! Empathised the feelings, I could feel what she felt.

One thing though, FWP should look out for. I noticed that around the page 190 there were some editing mistakes. The font on my Kindle changed. I had half a page in small letters and the other half in the normal one I had set. Otherwise there was nothing bad about the book! Go and buy it when it's out. It's worth the money I promise. I can't wait to read the second book in the series, so much tension and unanswered questions at the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment